Week 5 of Body Shape Identification and Figure Flattery- Hourglass
This week (and final week of body shapes), we will be discussing the body shape known as the Hourglass. This is the preferred body shape in fashion as we dress to strive for this shape. This goes back many years as this body shape signals fertility. Times have changed but the nice thing about this body shape is the slender waist and dressing to flatter it. For this body shape, you are naturally curvy with a defined waist, your bust and hips are close to even in size, and you may have a fuller bust, hips, and thighs. Think Sofia Vergara, Tyra Banks, and Scarlett Johansson.
Is this your body shape? If so, here are some tips on how to dress the Hourglass and show off those curves!
What the Hourglass body shape should wear:
1. Wrap dresses look great on this body shape because of the defined waist.
2. Tops with a v-neck and/or a boat neck.
3. Shirts that hit at the waist and are structured.
4. Tailored pants and jeans (think skinny pants/jeans here).
5. High waist jeans and pants to show off your waist.
6. Pencil Skirt looks great on this body shape (I love the Pencil Skirt on all body shapes though!).
7. Dresses and more dresses! This shape looks great in all dress but if they are flowy, add a belt around the waist.
What the Rectangle body shape Should NOT wear:
1. Avoid overly baggy clothes as this will only give the illusion of having no shape.
2. Boxy shirts as they will hid your beautiful shape.
3. Long, flowy dresses also should be avoided as they are shapeless (unless you put a belt on the waist).
4. Avoid low rider jeans (well, I think everyone should avoid low rider jeans, again I say this).
5. Avoid clothes that just cover up your body and look shapeless.
I hope you enjoyed the Body Shape discussions and found it helpful. Let me know if you have questions. I’m happy to assist! Have a great weekend.
Owner and Founder, Storyteller Stylist, LLC